Home Page

About Us

CAPA News

Back to Baddeck

Board Members

Members List

Members Area

Become a Member

M.O.C.U.

Canadian Vintage
Aircraft Listing


Links

Picture Galleries

Contact Us

 

Centennial of Flight - Back to Baddeck

 

Vickers Viking IV
Le Vickers Viking IV

 


Vickers Viking IV

The Vickers Viking IV was the first amphibian aircraft to be used in Canada and was the first aircraft purchased by the Canadian government after the First World War. Seeking to replace the Curtiss HS2-L, the government chose the Viking IV in 1923. Vickers in the United Kingdom built two and shipped them to Canada, while its Canadian subsidiary set up an aircraft manufacturing plant and built the remaining six in Canada.

The Viking IV was designed to carry five persons; however, the government, as a matter of economy, chose to install a 375 horsepower Rolls Royce Eagle engine instead of the designed 450 horsepower Napier Lion. The RCAF's Vikings could therefore carry only three people. The aircraft also sported a mahogany hull, which required that the aircraft be pulled out of the water each night and its hull oiled. Used primarily for aerial photography in RCAF service, Vikings operated from western Ontario into Saskatchewan in this capacity. Because of the limited carrying capacity of the aircraft, the crew often had to live off the land. The aircraft were also used for customs and fisheries patrols off the west coast and for forest protection. The last RCAF Viking was struck off strength in 1931.

There was also one civilian Viking IV in Canada. Laurentide Air Services purchased aircraft G-CAEB in June 1922 after which it had an interesting history. Roy Grandy flew the aircraft on a 1400 km flight in 1924 to deliver Treaty Money to aboriginals along the west shore of James Bay, taking several days to complete what had previously required weeks. G-CAEB was also used in 1925 to fly prospectors to various sites in northern British Columbia and Yukon, using Dease Lake as a base, thereby becoming the first aerial mineral exploration in northwest Canada. The aircraft was destroyed in September 1932 when a fuel line broke while airborne. The pilot landed safely in the Strait of Georgia and he and the occupants successfully evacuated the plane.

 

 

Le Vickers Viking IV

Le Vickers Viking IV a été le premier avion amphibie utilisé au Canada, en plus d’être le premier appareil acheté par le gouvernement du Canada après la Première Guerre mondiale. Cherchant un remplaçant au Curtiss HS2-L, le gouvernement a choisi le Viking IV en 1923. Vickers, au Royaume-Uni, a construit deux appareils et les a expédiés au Canada, tandis que sa filiale canadienne a mis en place des installations qui lui ont permis de construire au pays les six autres appareils.

Le Viking IV avait été conçu pour le transport de cinq personnes; toutefois, par souci d’économie, le gouvernement a choisi d’équiper l’avion du moteur Rolls Royce Eagle d’une puissance de 375 hp plutôt que du moteur Napier Lion de 450 hp normalement prévu. Par conséquent, les Viking de l’ARC ne pouvaient transporter que trois personnes. De plus, il fallait sortir l’avion de l’eau tous les soirs afin d’en graisser la coque en acajou. Servant principalement à la photographie aérienne au sein de l’ARC, les Viking ont été utilisés dans ce rôle de l’Ouest de l’Ontario jusqu’en Saskatchewan. Compte tenu de la capacité d’emport limitée de l’avion, l’équipage devait fréquemment assurer sa propre subsistance. L’avion a également servi à des opérations de surveillance des frontières et des pêches au large de la côte Ouest, ainsi qu’à des missions de protection des forêts. Le dernier Viking de l’ARC a été retiré du service en 1931.

Il y a également eu un Viking IV civil au Canada. Laurentide Air Services a acheté l’appareil immatriculé G-CAEB en juin 1922, lequel a par la suite connu une histoire intéressante. En 1924, aux commandes de l’avion, Roy Grandy a effectué un vol de 1 400 km afin de remettre aux Autochtones de la côte ouest de la baie James la somme qui leur revenait en vertu d’un traité, opération qui a pris quelques jours plutôt que les nombreuses semaines qu’il fallait auparavant. En 1925, le G-CAEB a également servi à transporter des prospecteurs à de nombreux endroits dans le Nord de la Colombie-Britannique et au Yukon, à partir de la base de Dease Lake, réalisant ainsi la première opération d’exploration minière par voie aérienne dans le Nord-Ouest du Canada. L’avion a été détruit en septembre 1932, à la suite de la rupture en vol d’une conduite de carburant. Le pilote a réussi à amerrir sans problème dans le détroit de Géorgie, et lui-même et les autres occupants ont pu quitter l’appareil.

 

 

Return to Centennial of Flight Table of Contents

Top of Page


Home  |  CAPA News  |  Back to Baddeck  |  About Us  |  Board Members  |  Members List  |
Members Area  |  Become a Member  |  M.O.C.U.  |  Links  
|  Picture Galleries  |  Contact Us  |

Page Last Updated:  16 Jun 2011